The conversion process will be a completely new experience for you, and we aim to make the process as pain free as possible by establishing what areas you require us to do and what areas you wish to deal with yourself.
The process involved in Academy conversion is something that our Academies experts are used to dealing with everyday, however every school is different. We will apply our specialist knowledge, along with our experience in the sector to reach a sensible action plan.
We also have a network of contacts that we can introduce to you. We can connect you to other schools that have either converted or are thinking of converting so that you can discuss with them the benefits and hurdles associated with converting. We can also introduce you to accountants and banks with specialist Academy experience so that you obtain the best possible advice from people who know, and have experience of, this sector.
This will allow you to make an informed decision about whether conversion is right for your school.
Examples of our experience include:
- Lucy Grey, who heads up our Academies Team and is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Commercial Team, has helped three schools to convert to Academies, one school based in Yorkshire converted a couple of years ago and, more recently, she was involved in the process of converting two more locally; one in Southampton and one in Portsmouth.
- We act for King Edward VI School in Southampton on various involved property matters.
- Other schools that we have undertaken property work for include:
- Bay House School in Gosport
- Gregg & St Winifred’s Schools in Southampton
- We have been advising South Wilts Grammar School in Salisbury since September 2011 with reference to issues concerning pupils and parents. South Wilts is an Academy and therefore has no access to legal support from the Local Authority Education Department. One of our Partners, Chris Whiteley is a governor at South Wilts Grammar School.
- We have a number of partners and staff who are either currently or have been previously, governors of schools.
- We help Selby College with the recovery of unpaid course fees.
- We work with a number of schools and Academies covering a range of employment and HR related matters (including tribunals):
- Leadenhall School and Chafyn Grove School, both in Salisbury
- The Gregg and St Winifreds Schools in Southampton
- Dumpton School in Wimborne;
- Boundary Oak School in Fareham;
- Wellington Academy in Tidworth (who we advised on the very early stages of its conversion to Academy status).
- Four Berkhamsted Schools;
- Coston Boys and Girls schools in Bristol;
- Merchants Academy in Bristol; and
- Arnold Lodge School in Warwickshire.