Commercial litigation is a very broad area and the services that we provide reflect that. Commercial disputes are unfortunately a fact of business life. The objective of our team of commercial litigation solicitors is to resolve those commercial disputes as quickly and effectively as possible, preferably without recourse to litigation.
Our experience shows that the earlier that we are involved the greater the prospect of resolving the matter before it escalates to the point where litigation becomes inevitable. Our team of commercial litigation solicitors has a wealth of experience that can be applied to your advantage so you get the best possible outcome for your business.
We appreciate that commercial litigation is often costly and unwanted. That is why our team will be as up front as possible about costs and look to manage those costs throughout the process. We are also prepared to look at different and innovative funding arrangements such as discounted fees depending on whether the claim is successful or not.
We can help you with:
- General commercial disputes;
- Contractual claims of any kind;
- Sale of goods / supply of goods and services claims;
- Warranty claims and/or claims arising out of the sale of a business;
- Shareholder disputes including unfair prejudice claims and the new derivative actions allowed under the Companies Act 2006;
- Partnership disputes;
- Insolvency related claims, both winding up and bankruptcy proceedings but also the recovery of monies owed to insolvent companies;
- Applications for urgent injunctive relief;
- Insurance related claims;
- Product liability / employers liability;
- Intellectual property claims, particularly copyright, trademark infringement and passing off;
- Banking and finance claims; and
- Construction disputes, particularly adjudication.
Our clients range from household name PLCs to smaller, owner-managed businesses, professional partnerships and financial institutions and include:
- Jewson (part of the Saint-Gobain Group)
- Toys R Us
- the Westbury, Kingsway Hall and Kensington Close Hotels in London (part of the Cola Holdings Group)
- Baker Perkins Limited
- Novatech Limited.
Here are some examples of cases that the team have been involved in:
- Acting for Kingsway Hall Hotel Limited in a dispute with a computer software company (which was absorbed into Micros-Fidelio Limited) over the installation of software in their hotel. Following a ten day trial before HHJ Toulmin QC in the Technology and Construction Court, Judgment was awarded in our client’s favour.
- Acting for a computer manufacturer in a dispute with Microsoft over whether products were licensed or not.
- Acting for a marketing and sponsorship company in relation to a dispute over commission arising out of payments made to the Formula 1 HRT Racing Team.
- Acting on a claim for breach of indemnities contained in a Share Sale Agreement on the sale of a hotel.
- Acting in a dispute with a major licensor of patented technology in the oil field industry over the apportionment of monies due to the shareholders.