Policies and procedures can assist you to manage your staff and set boundaries. We recommend that all businesses have, at least three policies:
- Disciplinary Policy
- Grievance Policy
- Equal Opportunities Policy
The disciplinary policy will help you manage issues like conduct and poor performance.
The grievance policy should be used to manage any complaint from any employee or staff member. We cannot stress enough that a grievance can be a gateway to claims for unfair dismissal and discrimination including sex, race or disability discrimination. Ensure that you investigate it properly and be careful in any response you give.
- Absence Management (Ill-health or sickness absence)
- Whistleblowing (Public Interest Disclosure / Protected Act)
- Family Friendly Policies (Maternity, Paternity, Shared Parental Leave)
- Flexible Working
- IT (for internet & email abuse)