On the 23 March 2016 the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) produced new guides to help your business know about unfair contract terms when you deal with customers:-
- Fair terms for your customers: an introduction for businesses
- Common myths about contract terms
- Top tips when writing your contract terms
- Unfair terms explained for businesses : individual guides
- Deposits, advance payments and cancellation charges
- Cancelling a contract: when and how
- Excessive charges and disproportionate sanctions
- Responsibility if things go wrong (limiting or excluding liability)
- Changing the terms of a contract (variation clauses)
- Subscription and automatic rollover
- Other terms that can be unfair
Unfair terms explained for businesses: full guide
Whilst these guides set out the CMA’s views on unfair contract terms, if you are a business that deals with consumers, then you should take advice as to whether your terms are fair and whether they comply with the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
For further information please contact the Corporate Commercial Team at Trethowans who will be happy to assist.