Gavin is a Partner in the Personal Injury Team. Since qualifying as a Solicitor in 1991 he has specialised in personal injury and clinical negligence cases (though early in his career he did have some Defendant experience) and brings experience, knowledge and enthusiasm to his work. Having first joined the Firm in 1997 and rejoined (after a brief spell away) in 2003 he became a Partner in 2007.
Gavin specialises in a wide variety of personal injury and clinical negligence claims but particularly in catastrophic injury cases including brain injury, spinal injury, amputee cases and Claimants suffering multiple fractures. He deals with complex employers liability cases and asbestos related disease cases. He has a reputation as somebody who will go the extra mile and fight and chase hard on behalf of his clients.
The fact that a large proportion of his cases are referred to him by solicitors from other firms is testament to his knowledge and expertise.
As well as being committed to ensuring maximum compensation, Gavin is committed working to ensure that his clients get the best rehabilitation possible, to ensure a good quality of life.
He is a member of the Law Society's Personal Injury Panel Accreditation Scheme (since 1995). He has been a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) since 1993, he is a Senior Litigator and since 2000 he has been Area Secretary to the Southern Region of that Association.
Gavin is a Trustee of Headway Southampton and has been described by market commentators in Chambers (2017) as a "very astute judge of medical evidence, and of its strengths and weaknesses.". Chambers also recognise him as being "exceptionally good" in his handling of a broad range of catastrophic injury cases, including brain injuries, spinal injuries and amputations. Sources praise Gavin's tactical understanding of litigation, commenting that he "has a fine sense of what's going on in a case.". Legal 500 (2016) also recommend him for having 'outstanding knowledge of catastrophic work.'
Gavin has been appointed by the Court of Protection to act as a Professional Deputy to manage the property and financial affairs of vulnerable adults.
Examples of how Gavin has helped clients include:
- He acted for a man who had an accident on a step ladder at work when working as a Caretaker. His employers vigorously fought his claim to Trial but Gavin's client was successful at trial and he went on to recover a significant amount of damages. Previous solicitors advised this client to give up on this case and were about to drop it.
- He acted for a man in his 20s who suffered a motor cycle accident and suffered catastrophic life threatening injuries including multiple fractures, a head injury and a spinal injury. His client received good rehabilitation which enabled him to regain a degree of quality of life. The claim settled for a significant sum of damages without having to go to Court.
- He secured a six figure settlement for a man who underwent a circumcision which was carried out incorrectly.
- He acted for a man who suffered a severe fall at an oil refinery and established liability for his client recently. The client received a significant sum in damages.
- He took a case to Trial involving a rather unusual accident where a motorcyclist was forced to take evasive action as a result of a public works van which had been incorrectly parked on a dual carriageway road. This case was also turned down by previous solicitors.
- Gavin secured damages of over £2 million for a man in his 70s who suffered spinal injuries in a road traffic accident. The claim was complicated by the fact that the client moved to Australia during the life of his case so he had to sought Australian experts.
- He took a clinical negligence case to Trial in 2014. His client suffered a severe injury to her hand because of an operation that had been performed incorrectly. The injury caused her to have to give up work and require a lot of care and attention. Damages of over £500,000 were awarded which was significantly more than the amount offered by the NHS
- Gavin acted for a young lady who suffered brain injuries of the utmost severity in a road traffic accident when she was in her late teens. The case settled on the door of the Court with approval of the Court. The Claimant was awarded a lump sum of nearly £3 million but more importantly periodical payments of nearly £300,000 per annum for the rest of her life for care and therapy.
- He acted for a young man, a Sudanese refugee who was knocked of his push bike by a lorry in Portsmouth. The Defendant vigorously defended the case all the way to a Liability Trial and the client was fully successful at a Trial. Subsequently the case settled for over £100,000. The client suffered severe fractures.
Away from the office...
Gavin is a keen sportsman. He has played for Havant Hockey Club for over 20 years, he has captained his team at Warsash Tennis Club, he enjoys golf, skiing, yoga and working out in the gym.
- Head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Clinical negligence
- Accidents at work
- Dental negligence
- Amputee cases
- Road traffic accidents
- Motorcycle cases