Holly has specialised in Employment Law since qualifying in 2003 and joined Trethowans as an Associate in the Employment Team in July 2008.
Holly has extensive experience in advising on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law, including Employment Tribunal litigation, unfair dismissal, diversity and discrimination, HR policies, employment contracts and compromise agreements. She has particular expertise in acting for national and regional newspaper organisations providing employment law advice on all aspects of grievance and disciplinary issues, managing sickness absence, equal opportunities, and redundancy advice.
Holly also advises on Employment Tribunal claims from the start of proceedings through to the Hearing, at which she conducts her own advocacy.
Holly is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
Holly's experience and practical advice has also led to her appearing on the television programme BBC South Today as well as regularly commentating on BBC Radio Solent to explain employment rights and issues in certain situations.
Examples of how Holly has helped clients include:
- Winning a 3 day Employment Tribunal in Nottingham; the Claimant's claims for unfair dismissal, race discrimination and sexual orientation discrimination were unanimously dismissed. The client said: "...your brilliant result at the tribunal. We were obviously delighted and would like to thank you very much for all your hard work and good advice."
- Assisting a client in dismissing a senior employee following a lengthy grievance process and settling the ensuing Tribunal claim for a nuisance value sum. The client said: "We are all most grateful, obviously for the professional input, but almost as important was the psychology of your relationship with us all, and that made dealing with some of the bad times a bit easier."
- Negotiating settlement of a Tribunal for less than the employee had been offered before initiating proceedings. The client said: "Holly, Well done, a very, very good result".
- Winning an Employment Tribunal in London for a client against two former contractors who maintained they were employees. The client said: "Just wanted to thank you again for all your help dealing with that pair of low life's ... the day couldn't have gone any better and from a principle point of view it is a massive victory for us which has been broadcast to anyone who's prepared to listen. Fantastic!!!!"
Away from the office
Holly spends her time wishing she had an exciting, death-defying hobby to tell people about in her profile, sadly in fact her hobbies are somewhat sedentary and include reading, going to the theatre and travelling, as well as developing an encyclopedic knowledge of The West Wing.
- Employment Tribunal litigation
- Unfair dismissal
- Employment relations in the newspaper industry