Marcus Thorpe is head of the firm’s Agriculture and Rural Property Team. He specialises in the sale and purchase of farms, estates and country houses and has extensive experience in this field.
Marcus also advises clients on a wide range of issues affecting rural property including tenancies, secured lending, sporting interests, equestrian property and renewable energy.
Marcus acts for farmers and other rural property owners, pension trustees, banks and overseas clients.
Marcus is a member of the Agricultural Law Association.
Marcus is ranked in Band 1 of Chambers 2018 and is described as an experienced lawyer dealing with transactions, tenancies and finance work relating to agricultural and landed estates, country houses and equine property. An observer adds "He is the most practical, personable and pragmatic lawyer I have ever dealt with, he is the go-to person for any residential or rural property matter."
Marcus is on the Lexis Nexis Steering Group for Agriculture. This is an invitational position to the foremost independent provider of legal publishing services. The Steering Group is charged with guiding Lexis Nexis on the provision of legal advice to practitioners.
- Sale of a farm in the Chalke Valley with private water supply issues; a shooting lease to reserve shooting for the season; a sub-sale of part; planning issues; SFP & ELS; early entry; tax planning requirements and ‘entrepreneurs relief’.
- Partition of a major estate in the Test Valley; various ownerships; dissolution of fishing partnership; employee and tenant considerations; liquidation of farming company; disclaiming of an AHA tenancy; option and pre-emption agreements; surrender of rights, licences to fly airplanes; complex continuing rights over adjoining land created; severance of various scheme agreements.
- Acquisition of a Grade II listed house with Grade II & Grade I listed outbuildings; planning defects; various tenancy issues; river ownership issues; commons rights.
- Option agreement and lease for a solar farm on 40 acres of land; complex negotiations prior to drafting as the client did not have an agent acting in that regard.
- Secured lending over a substantial welsh estate with a value of £13,000,000; 12 cottages and woodland charged; complex ownership structures.
- Purchase of a waterfront country house where client had ‘gazumped’ and exchange of contracts was required within 24 hours; site visit and face to face solicitors’ negotiations to achieve this.
Away from the office…
Marcus lives with his wife and two children near Shaftesbury and enjoys wood carving, country sports, mosaics and crayfish trapping! He is closely involved with RABI and provides legal advice for the Riding for the Disabled (Wiltshire).
- Farm sales & purchases
- Property advice to estates and other rural landowners
- Sporting rights
- Private water supplies
- Agricultural tenancies