Nick is a corporate finance lawyer, advising on mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs and buy-ins, structured finance, private equity funding, and joint ventures.
Nick joined Trethowans in August 2010, having previously been a partner in the corporate team at Blake Lapthorn. He has also worked on secondment as an in-house counsel to a quoted Plc.
Nick qualified in 1994 and is described as a 'stand-out lawyer' in Legal 500. He is recognised by Chambers (2018) as a Notable Practitioner and is described by market commentators as an "excellent lawyer." He advises on corporate finance and private equity matters as part of his broad transactional practice. He frequently acts for both public companies and SMEs.
Legal 500 (2017) recognises corporate finance expert Nick Gent, who has ‘extensive knowledge and experience of his area’.
Examples of recent transactions on which Nick has worked include:
- The sale of Kylmar (KMC) Limited, an industry leader in the design and manufacture of sensor and optical surveillance systems for military and security applications, to General Dynamics;
- Raising $13m as development capital from two US corporate investors for a company in the energy sector;
- Advising Royal Bank of Scotland plc on funding for the MBO of the Raymond Brown Group;
- The sale of HSP Group Limited, a distributor of valves to the global oil and gas markets, to Edgen Group Inc;
- Advising The Innovation Group plc on its acquisition of Marishall Thompson & Co (Environmental) Limited.
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance
- Company Law