Nick is a corporate finance lawyer, advising on mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs and buy-ins, structured finance, private equity funding, and joint ventures.
Nick joined Trethowans in August 2010, having previously been a partner in the corporate team at Blake Lapthorn. He has also worked on secondment as an in-house counsel to a quoted Plc.
Nick qualified in 1994 and is described as a 'stand-out lawyer' in Legal 500. He is recognised by Chambers (2017) as a Notable Practitioner and is held in high regard for his practice in investment related matters - having taken the lead on the firm's representation of Lily's Kitchen. He has also been praised by clients as being "dedicated, a strong negotiator and a great communicator".
Chambers also refers to Nick as an experienced banking and finance practitioner who handles a range of financing work for banks and borrowers. He has been praised by sources for his "amazing ability to give clients confidence in doing things" and "... is very good at the interpersonal side of businesses.".
Legal 500 (2017) recognises corporate finance expert Nick Gent, who has ‘extensive knowledge and experience of his area’.
Examples of recent transactions on which Nick has worked include:
- The sale of Kylmar (KMC) Limited, an industry leader in the design and manufacture of sensor and optical surveillance systems for military and security applications, to General Dynamics;
- Raising $13m as development capital from two US corporate investors for a company in the energy sector;
- Advising Royal Bank of Scotland plc on funding for the MBO of the Raymond Brown Group;
- The sale of HSP Group Limited, a distributor of valves to the global oil and gas markets, to Edgen Group Inc;
- Advising The Innovation Group plc on its acquisition of Marishall Thompson & Co (Environmental) Limited.
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Finance
- Company Law