Simon is a vastly experienced employment lawyer and regularly advises a wide range of employer clients including multi-nationals, national brands and plcs. Simon has a wealth of experience across all market sectors including recruitment, manufacturing, distribution, leisure, I.T., construction and the NHS. Simon specialises in advising employers on recruitment and terminations, transfers of undertakings (TUPE), disputes involving restrictive covenants, collective redundancies and discrimination.
Simon is known for giving “very practical” advice and has been described by clients as “very pro-active" and "very down to earth”. If issues become difficult and contentious, then Simon comes into his own. Simon has an impeccable track record when representing clients at Employment Tribunal.
Simon is also the Firm’s Senior Partner.
Chambers (2017) describes Simon as someone who "instills confidence and trust". He is ranked in Band 1 for his expertise in both contentious and non-contentious employment issues and has been praised by clients as being "very commercial in his approach.". Legal 500 (2016) states Simon that is ‘concise and risk-focused’ and that he leads a 'very good team.'
- Joined Trethowans as Partner and Head of Employment in January 2005
- Became Managing Partner at Trethowans in June 2009 until March 2015
- Head of Employment and Senior Partner from April 2015, ongoing
Professional Qualifications, Accreditations and Memberships
- Member of the Employment Lawyers' Association
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession (2016) describes Simon as a "very good commercially focused employment lawyer who understands the particulars of the business he is advising and tailors his advice to this."
- Legal 500 (2015) describes Simon as "outstanding."
- Complex recruitment and termination negotiations
- Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE)
- Dispute involving restrictive covenants
- Collective redundancies
- Discrimination issues
- Trustee of the Southampton Cultural Development Trust
- Member of the Hampshire Chamber of Commerce Southampton Business Board
- Co-founder and co-organiser of the Solent Business Growth Summit
- Co-founder and co-organiser of Salisbury Big Business Event
- Chair of Future Southampton 2014-2015