Patients on hospital wards should be monitored and observed, and any deterioration or change in their condition should be acted upon. Sadly, if this does not happen the consequences can be extremely serious.
Negligent errors can occur including:
- failure to identify infection
- misdiagnosis of infection
- failure to notice changes in blood pressure and blood test results
- failure to act on infection markers such as raised white cell count or CRP
- allowing pressure sores to develop
- allowing a patient to fall whilst in hospital (e.g. elderly patients who are less mobile)