Of course employment is built on trust but your contract or service agreement is a key document which defines the relationship between you and the business.
Most contracts are signed and forgotten. That’s fine provided you remember it’s the first thing everyone looks for if something goes wrong. Of course no contract can cover every eventuality but a well drafted contract will point the way to solutions when questions arise.
- Does it really reflect what’s been agreed?
- Is there a bonus scheme and does it reflect what happens in practice?
- Do the holiday arrangements remain compliant with current law?
- What hours are you working and are you being paid properly for these hours?
- What happens if you are off sick?
- What notice are you entitled to?
- What are your obligations to the company after you leave?
- Are you a self employed contractor or are you an employee?
It’s always easier to iron out contractual details using the goodwill that comes with the first flush of a fresh start so it’s a good idea to use this time to get your contract right.