Our client was an airman who was injured when he fell from a helicopter and sustained a severe brain injury. Physically he is very strong but, from a brain injury perspective, he has been substantially limited in the periods for which he can concentrate and becomes fatigued very easily.
The following was obtained:
- Setting up a private community care package to allow the client to live at home whilst receiving necessary medical and rehabilitation treatments.
- Organising cognitive brain injury rehabilitation to incorporate coping strategies for poor mood control, memory problems and fatigue.
- Put client in touch with a specialist Neuropsychologist for appropriate treatment.
- Professional counselling and training for the client's family to cope with the client's anger and moods.
- Allocation of independent clinical case manager to work with the family, helping to recruit suitably experienced professionals to identify and meet immediate and long-term goals for him.
- Arrangement of occupational therapy sessions to maximise the client's potential through meaningful activity and education, assessing his functional abilities and setting achievable targets to increase independence.
- Working towards sourcing a suitable single or two-storey property with a modern and straight staircase and 'quiet' room.
- Purchase of electronic personal organiser due to client's lack of concentration to help him deal with day to day appointments.