Child Law Solicitors

Our team of highly experienced child law solicitors are able to assist you in resolving issues relating to the arrangements for your children or grandchildren, including parental responsibility, separation and moving with a child. If you have any legal questions regarding the consequences of having a family, separating or bringing two families together we are here to help.

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility is the legal status of parenthood and gives an individual the right to make decisions relating to the child’s upbringing.

Mothers automatically have parental responsibility for their child.  Fathers will automatically have parental responsibility if married to the mother or if they are named on the birth certificate of a child whose birth was registered after 1 December 2003.

A second female parent will also have parental responsibility for their child if they are married or in a civil partnership with the child’s mother at the time of birth.

There are other circumstances in which fathers, same sex parents, stepparents and others can obtain parental responsibility for a child. Our child law solicitors can provide advice upon your own individual circumstances.

Child arrangements following Divorce or Separation

At separation, parents offer refer to child custody and access or child contact.  We appreciate that when dealing with divorce or separation it can be difficult to try and reach an agreement regarding  the arrangements for your children.  We can offer options to resolve your issues in a sensitive and non-confrontational way and where appropriate, can adopt a collaborative approach or offer mediation.

Sometimes however, Court applications are necessary and we will deal with these in the most child-centred, cost-effective and efficient way.

Travelling with a Child

If you share parental responsibility for your child with another person, neither of you can take your child out of the Country for any purpose without the written consent of all those with parental responsibility or a Court Order allowing you to do so.

Moving with a Child

Again if you share parental responsibility for your child with another person, neither of you can remove the child from the Country without the written consent of all those with parental responsibility or a Court Order allowing you to do so.  You may wish to just move within the UK, but these arrangements will also need to be agreed.

Our child law solicitors can assist and advise you through negotiations but if a settlement cannot be reached and an application to Court proves necessary, we will handle the process in a child-focused, sensitive and non-confrontational way.

Grandparents Rights

Grandparents often have a very special relationship with their grandchildren and you might be concerned about how this may be affected if their parents are separating. We can provide you with advice and assistance in resolving these issues. You might even find yourself in the position of caring for your grandchildren on a full-time basis without having the legal right to make important decisions for them. In those circumstances, we can advise and assist you in securing appropriate Orders that will provide you with parental responsibility. We can also help you if you have been denied contact with your grandchildren.


Our Child Law Solicitors  in Salisbury, Southampton, Winchester, Poole and Bournemouth are here to help. Please contact our solicitors to arrange a free 30 minute consultation using the quick contact form on this page, or call 0800 2800 421

Meet the team

Andrew Mercer


Grant Cameron


Emma Wilders-Pratt


Kimberley Davies


Laura Bell

Senior Associate

Amy Trench


Dawn Gore

Associate (Senior Paralegal)

Zoe Minton


Helen Clarkson


Jacqueline Reeves

Chartered Legal Executive

Sara Willis