UN Special Rapporteur recommendations
The UN Special Rapporteur has recommended that the UK Government should:
- increase regulation and enhance information and accountability in relation to the private rented sector
- adopt regulatory tenancy protections, including minimum length of contracts, restraints on rent increases and strict limits on eviction
- encourage the use of standardized human rights-compliant rental contracts
- enhance mechanisms of registration of landlords and letting agents
- establish clear accountability mechanisms to eliminate discrimination in the private rented sector
For a review of recent moves to such regulation of the private rented sector see the latest House of Commons briefing on the regulation of private sector letting and managing agents (England).