Probate and Estate Administration
Our private client lawyers are proud to be recognised as amongst the most experienced and proficient in the field of probate and estate administration.
What are probate and estate administration?
The process of sorting out what happens to an individual’s estate once they have passed away is known broadly as estate administration. Probate sits within this process, and specifically refers to obtaining the court’s permission to deal with the deceased person’s estate by registering for a ‘grant of probate’. This is carried out by the executors of the will. If no executors are named, or there is no will, then a family member can apply for a ‘grant of letters of administration’.
We understand that this can be a challenging time for family and friends, especially for the executors responsible for executing the will. Our specialist estate administration solicitors can provide a comprehensive service, from advice on registering for ‘grants of probate’, to providing help with paperwork and dealing with financial institutions.
If you have any further questions regarding probate and estate administration, our team of solicitors are here to help. We are one of the leading private client teams in the UK and were shortlisted for The Law Society Excellence Awards in 2018. Contact Trethowans today on 0800 2800 421.
Our estate administration and probate services
We operate within our own rigorous protocol, ensuring an efficient, cost-effective and comprehensive legal service across the following areas:
- Obtaining grants of probate or letters of administration where there is no will
- Advising executors on their duties and the risks they must consider
- Undertaking detailed or, if required, limited administration of estates from start to finish
- Negotiating with HMRC on inheritance tax issues and securing all possible tax savings
- Undertaking all necessary work to mitigate capital gains tax for the estate and for individual beneficiaries
- Working with all beneficiaries including charities and their legacy officers to ensure the availability of all relevant information throughout the estate administration process and their involvement in decision-making when appropriate
- Dealing with post-death variations of wills in order to save beneficiaries inheritance tax at a later date or to reduce the tax payable by the estate
- Dealing with all practicalities when required from registration of the death to funeral arrangements, property clearance, obtaining valuations, re-housing of pets, personal arrangements for those for whom the deceased was carer, supporting and guiding executors and families and dealing with all issues connected with the deceased’s property from insurers to utility providers.
Why choose us for probate and estate administration?
The service we provide is not only efficient but personal. We will help and support you with all manner of issues needing attention at the difficult time immediately after death, and throughout the estate administration process.
Our aim is not only to ensure that the legal work and practical elements are undertaken to the highest possible standard but in doing so also to help the bereaved come to terms with their loss. Beyond that, we give all necessary guidance to the recently widowed so that they can embark on this new phase of their life with confidence and the comfort of support.
“May I thank you for your considerable assistance to my mother in her role as Executor for my aunt’s estate. I know my mother has much appreciated your kind and efficient approach to the estate administration and to earlier matters relating to my aunt.”
Trethowans law firm has offices located across the South in Poole, Bournemouth, Winchester, Salisbury and Southampton. To arrange a consultation with one of our specialist probate solicitors, don’t hesitate t get in touch on 0800 2800 421. We will help you secure your assets and affairs.