Banking and Finance
The Trethowans Banking and Finance Team offers specific expert advice to both financial institutions and those looking to raise finance on a broad spectrum of arrangements for general secured and structured lending and equity fundraisings.
The highly regarded team are members of the Loan Market Association and sit on the legal advisory panels of most major UK banks, including Lloyds Banking Group, HSBC, NatWest and Santander. The banking and finance team will work closely with other sectors of the firm to include any relevant sector expertise. The team works collaboratively with clients to ensure the advice is commercially focussed and cost effective and will, as a matter of course, ensure an understanding of the borrower’s business so that lending can be structured accordingly.
Sophie Eales is “a delight to have in any meeting,” according to clients. Sources say she is “loyal, very commercial and very communicative,” further noting that she “explains specifically what the risks are and what we are taking on.
Areas in which they specialise include:
Recent Experience includes:
- Acting for a major UK clearing bank in amending and restating its loan portfolio with a highly regarded luxury hotel group to support the acquisition and renovation of two new hotels; doubling its development and acquisition finance facility from £15million to £30million;
- Acting for a well-known betting company in relation to a £6million term loan facility, and wider group refinancing worth in excess of £70million;
- Acting for a major UK clearing bank in connection with the provision of a new £5million revolving credit facility to a significant hotel and leisure sector customer; one of the leading marina owners, operators and developers in the UK and the Netherlands;
- Acting for CT Automotive Group Limited, an international car parts manufacturer with bases in several jurisdictions, in respect of the banking elements involved in its management buyout; funded by a lend of US$18.5million, and which completed in Hong Kong. This transaction was recognised as ‘Mid Range Deal of the Year (£10-£50million)’ at the Solent Deal Awards 2017;
- Acting for a lender taking security over a Berkshire estate valued at c. £37million;
- Acting for a borrower providing security over a Buckinghamshire farm and commercial portfolio and a poultry farm in Yorkshire, total value c. £32million;
- Acting for a lender taking security over a Lincolnshire estate valued at £15million