Our highly regarded Corporate Team provides a wide range of advice across a diverse range of business sectors. Clients include individuals and SMEs, as well as major financial institutions and household names. For further information on our services please click on the arrows below.
Recommended in independent legal directories as ‘a well reputed corporate practice with a focus on acting for sellers in M&A transactions, together with expertise in investment related matters, joint ventures and MBOs’.
Our clients also say “They’re very efficient, and it’s a friendly and personable service” and “They deliver great customer service.”
Our Team of corporate lawyers provide advice on a wide range of corporate issues including:
- Company / LLP incorporations
- Shareholder rights and relations
- Share buy-backs
- Corporate reorganisations / restructures
- Corporate simplifications
- Corporate governance
Our experience includes:
- Advising a company on a multiple tranche share buy-back agreement for consideration in excess of £1million
- Assisting shareholders on a multi-million-pound section 110 corporate demerger
- Advising on a statutory de-merger of a group of companies
- Assisting a fully listed plc on a corporate simplification involving reductions in share capital, assignments of loans and striking off companies from Companies House
- Advising a company on issues created by a rogue shareholder
Shareholders and joint venture agreements
Whether you are an individual or a company, going into business with a third party is a major step and it is important that your relationship with your business partners is well documented in an appropriate agreement from the outset, whether that be a partnership agreement, shareholder agreement (with articles of association), limited liability partnership agreement or joint venture agreement.
A clear understanding of the parties’ objectives is paramount in such agreement and our corporate lawyers are experienced in advising both individuals and corporates in a variety of sectors on these types of arrangements for both companies and groups of companies based in the UK and cross-border.
Our recent experience includes:
- Drafting a shareholders’ agreement and articles of association in order to put in place the legal framework to enable a family company to pass the business down to the younger generation
- As part of a VIMBO (vendor initiated management buy-out) we drafted the shareholder’s agreement and articles of association of the purchasing vehicle of an international group
Company secretarial services
Our services include:
- Incorporating companies (limited by shares or guarantee) and LLPs
- Acting as the registered office address for companies and LLPs and forwarding official documents / correspondence upon receipt
- Creating and/or maintaining statutory registers, PSC registers, minute books and share certificates
- Filing statutory documents (for example confirmation statements) at Companies House
- Preparing board minutes, shareholder resolutions and Companies House forms
- Making amendments to or redrafting Articles of Association
- Implementing changes to the share capital of companies; and
- Auditing statutory registers before company sales or post acquisition.
In some of these instances we can provide you with these services on a fixed fee basis.
The importance of properly maintaining the statutory books of a company or LLP (which includes the register of shareholders/members/directors (as applicable) and PSC register) cannot be understated. Many directors / LLP members do not realise that failure to maintain statutory registers is an offence under the Companies Act 2006.
Share schemes (including EMIs)
Incentivisation of key employees is key to the development of any business. Whilst this can take many forms, share options and/or the promise of future equity in a business can help not only to motivate key employees but also to retain them.
We have expertise in advising on and providing the legal platform for all types of share option schemes, including enterprise management incentive share option schemes (EMIs). Working with your tax advisers, we can assist in putting together share option arrangements to meet your needs whether that be linked to an exit event or purely to the achievement of certain performance targets.
- Advising on an EMI option scheme for a IT company to incentivise key employees following three rounds of seed investment
- Advising on put and call options as part of a wider corporate transaction where the sellers of the entire issued share capital of an international company rolled-over some of the consideration into shares in the buyer
Venture capital and private equity transactions
Our corporate lawyers advise clients on a full range of venture capital and private equity transactions. Our experience allows us to support our clients in achieving a successful outcome whether it be for seed/early stage, growth or development transactions.
Our recent experience includes:
- Acting for a tech business in relation to first round seed investment with two additional third party private equity investments
- Acting for a health-tech start-up business taking investment from a large international group
- Acting for a large private company making strategic investments