Being involved in a road traffic accident can be traumatic, especially when it occurs abroad. Our solicitors can help you with your accident abroad claim.

When travelling abroad, be it on holiday or for other reasons, lots of people either take their own car with them or hire a car in that country to enable them to get around. Unfortunately, as with driving in the UK, accidents do sometimes occur.

Many people assume that a claim arising out of an accident in another country must be brought in that country. This is often not the case and, depending upon the circumstances, a claim for injuries or losses can sometimes be pursued in the Courts of England and Wales, if this is where the injured person lives.

For example, under the Brussels (Recast) and Rome II Regulations, a person injured in a car accident in another country in the European Union (with the exception of Denmark) will usually be able to pursue a claim arising out of that accident in the country where they live.

Further, under the Motor Insurers’ Directives all European Union insurers must appoint a claims handler in respect of such a claim in the place where the injured person lives.

The specialist Personal Injury Team at Trethowans Solicitors have experience of dealing with road traffic accidents, both for Claimants and Defendants, throughout Europe. Don’t hesitate to call us and we’ll get back to you to discuss your air accident claim on a no obligation basis.

How long do I have to pursue a road traffic accident abroad claim?

It is important to note that in most cases, road traffic accident claims will be governed by the law of the country where the accident took place, even in the Courts of England and Wales. This includes the time limits for bringing a claim, which are therefore often different to those arising out of accidents in England and Wales. As a result, it is extremely important to seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible.

Why choose Trethowans?

Our experienced solicitors go the extra mile to ensure that you receive the compensation you are due for your road traffic accident abroad claim. Our personal injury solicitors work on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, so if we are unable to recover any compensation on behalf of your claim, you won’t have to pay.

We have extensive experience handling road traffic accident abroad claims, and have the knowledge and expertise to ensure you get a fair result. Get in touch and one of our friendly solicitors will be happy to advise you further.

Answers are just an email away

Make an enquiry