After qualifying in 2002 Steve worked at Field Fisher for seven years in their commercial finance team. In 2009 Steve took up a leading advocacy position for a US Foundation involved in marine conservation. Steve relocated to the South Coast in 2013 and became a partner at Blake Morgan tasked with running their South Coast banking and finance team. He joined Trethowans in 2021 and heads the banking and finance team.
Steve was awarded Lawyer of the Year 2017 at the South Coast Deal Awards in recognition of his specialist expertise in banking and finance work and the quality of legal advice he has provided on a number of high profile and complex deals in the region.
Steve holds an LLM in International Environmental Law and also holds the Islamic Finance Qualification.
Notable Work highlights
- Extensive experience advising banks, other institutional lenders and borrowers.
- Advises on a broad range of financial transactions. His particular expertise lies in commercial finance, property finance and asset finance. Steve also advises banks and customers on a wide variety of Islamic compliant funding structures.
- Specialist expertise in the education and leisure sectors.
- Extensive experience in both bilateral and syndicated transactions often dealing with transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising HSBC on facilities relating to the management buy out which won the Solent Deal Awards Deal of the Year
- Acting for a leading regional property developer in relation to investment and development facilities totalling £17mn
- Advising a bank on a £20mn term loan and revolving credit facility being made available to a leading university in the South of England
- Acting for a borrower in relation to a c.£10mn Islamic compliant commodity Murabaha facility arranged with a bank to finance the development of retirement accommodation
- Advising a global manufacturing group based in India in respect of English law security relating to a c.€700mn facilities relating to multiple subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions
- Commission on International Environmental Law
Away from the office
Steve spends his leisure time training for triathlons, following sport and spending time with his young family.
Steve Cole acts on a wide range of financial transactions, focusing on syndicated and leveraged, both regional and international. He is also noted for regularly advising on Islamic finance structures. Impressed interviewees say “He kept to timescales and had a pragmatic view of the transaction and explained the pros and cons of the situation. Chambers and Partners 2019