Premises Licensing

Our specialist Licensing Team can provide you and your business with all the knowledge and advice you need when it comes to applying for a premises licence.

What is premises licensing?

This wide-reaching terminology covers advice and guidance on all types of applications under the Licensing Act 2003 and associated legislation. We can assist with advising on local licensing policy and lease terms relating to licensing for property acquisitions.

Do I need a premises licence?

If you plan to sell alcohol, provide hot food and drink after 11 pm, or offer certain types of entertainment, you will require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Our extensive experience means we are familiar with licensing authorities throughout England and Wales and this familiarity helps streamline the application process. Our expertise is in assisting our multi-site clients with the management of their vast estates and make it our priority to offer practical and tailored advice.

Our premises licensing team can help you with:
  • All aspects of licensing relating to property acquisition to include; negotiation of terms of lease in relation to licensing issues working closely with your property advisers. To include advice on transferring an existing licence and what action is required to ensure the licence meets your operational requirements and having the licence in place before your crucial opening date
  • Applying for premises licence to authorise sale of alcohol, late night refreshment and regulated entertainment
  • Applications to transfer a premises licence from one business to another to avoid any loss in trade
  • Applying to vary existing premises licences to amend terms and conditions/hours/layout
  • DPS tracker – managing estate database of Designated Premises Supervisors and issuing DPS variations as and when required
  • Payment of premises licence annual fee
  • Temporary Event Notices for proposed events that do not fall within the licensable activities authorised by the premises licence
  • Due diligence – we can assist with drafting staff training documentation which can be rolled out to staff so they are aware of their many responsibilities working in licensed premises and dealing with customers
  • Enforcement/Prosecution/Closure Notice – If things go wrong and the worst happens such as a prosecution for breach of premises licence condition or your licence is being reviewed then our team can help – contact us without delay
  • Appeals
  • Noise Abatement
  • Food Safety/Health & Safety

Why choose Trethowans?

Our licensing team acts for a number of nationally recognised restaurant chains, premier league football club, a number of hotels as well as individual operators and those hosting a one-off event. We value the close working relationship we have with our clients from head office staff through to the teams on site. We pride ourselves on delivering an efficient and personable service to clients with legal advice being tailored to the client’s business and operational style to take into account risks pertinent to the business.

However big or small your licensing requirements – we have the experience to help you.

As well as advising on the above premises licensing matters, we can also provide expert guidance on a broad range of regulatory requirements, like trading standards, venue and food safety. Contact our expert licensing team today to discuss your licensing needs on 0800 2800 421 or by using the form.

Answers are a click away