Our regulatory solicitors have a wealth of experience in advising on environmental issues and representing clients suspected of committing environmental offences.
Environmental offences include those relating to environmental permitting, water pollution, waste, fly tipping and protected species and habitats. Enforcement action may be taken by the police or by a regulator such as the Environment Agency or a local authority.
The consequences of a prosecution can be severe: criminal convictions (including the possibility of prison for company directors), hefty fines, adverse publicity and the potential for restrictions to be imposed on environmental licenses or permits.
We can support you throughout a criminal investigation, adverse media coverage and court proceedings. Whatever happens, we will always give you clear, robust advice you can trust.
How we can help you
Our specialist regulatory solicitors can:
- provide legal compliance advice
- provide strategic advice if you are facing a criminal investigation
- liaise with environmental regulators on your behalf
- represent you at an interview under caution (PACE interview)
- advise on potential penalties including civil sanctions
- represent you at the Magistrates’ or Crown court
So that we can help you achieve the best possible outcome, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible if you become aware of an investigation or receive a court summons.
Sarah Wheadon, who heads up our Regulatory team is a member of the UK Environmental Law Association.
Please do get in touch if you would like more information about how we can help you.