We have considerable experience in advising clients on consumer protection/Trading Standards matters, including trade descriptions, advertising, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and product safety.
If your business is facing a criminal investigation by a local authority Trading Standards department, our expert regulatory solicitors can support you and your business by:
- Assisting with the gathering of evidence
- Helping you with drafting a response to a request for information or documents
- Advising on your options if you or your business are invited to an interview under caution (PACE interview). This is an important stage of an investigation, as the regulator will suspect that you have committed an offence and answers you give under caution may influence how the regulator decides to proceed in relation to enforcement action and be used against you in any subsequent prosecution. We can represent you at an interview under caution or advise in relation to providing written answers to questions under caution, depending on the circumstances
- Advising on potential penalties
- Liaising with the regulator on your behalf. This may include putting forward arguments that it is not in the public interest to proceed with a prosecution or that an alternative to prosecution (for example a formal caution) would be more appropriate in the circumstances of the case
- Representing you at the Magistrates’ or Crown Court
Why choose Trethowans?
With in-depth knowledge and years of experience, we are perfectly placed to take proactive action to safeguard your business and protect your reputation. Where needed, we can draw on the experience of other teams within Trethowans to offer a complete commercial service.
Sarah Wheadon, who heads up the Regulatory team has a wealth of experience in this area and has been described by the Chambers & Partners legal directory as being “quick, efficient”, “exceptionally able and dedicated” and “absolutely first class” as well as being recognised for her knowledge of health and safety and environmental law.
For expert advice on consumer protection/Trading Standards matters, please contact our regulatory team by calling 0800 2800 421 or using our contact form above.