- 08 Mar 2023
- 2 min read
Experience a real-life liability court case with Trethowans and Guildhall Chambers
Kelvin Farmaner and Sarah Wheadon of Trethowans are running a mock trial event in conjunction with Gabriel Farmer of Guildhall Chambers and hosted by Bournemouth Chartered Insurance Institute on 30 March 2023.
The mock trial will simulate a real-life personal injury claim. The accident occurs when a person is leading a horse up a country lane and claims that the driver of a tractor was negligent in failing to stop/turn off his engine, causing the horse to be spooked and bolt and causing her serious injuries. It is a trial on liability for the accident.
As in most real-life disputes, the law will be important, but the core of the disagreement will be about the facts. Some witnesses will be more credible than others. Both parties will have their strong points and their weak points. Ultimately, it will be up to the Judge to decide.
Key participants, including the Judge and Counsel for each party, will be played by real-life legal professionals who will be well-equipped to give you an authentic trial experience. There will also be a bundle of documents which will help attendees understand the case and consider the evidence as the trial progresses.
By the end of the session, participants will have learnt:
- The format and process of a civil trial
- That not everything at court is perfectly choreographed
- That work undertaken during the life of a case can mean the difference between winning and losing
- To consider what could be done differently to improve their chances of winning a case
- To take this back to their desk and bear it in mind when dealing with their own claims in the future
The event takes place on Thursday 30 March 2023 from 12.30pm to 4pm at Dudsbury Golf Club & Hotel, Bournemouth.
If you wish to attend, you can book your place here.