After qualifying in 2002 Steve worked at Field Fisher for seven years in their commercial finance team. In 2009 Steve took up a leading advocacy position for a US Foundation involved in marine conservation. Steve relocated to the South Coast in 2013 and became a partner at Blake Morgan tasked with running their South Coast banking and finance team. He joined Trethowans in 2021 and heads the Banking and Finance Team.
Steve was awarded Lawyer of the Year 2017 at the South Coast Deal Awards in recognition of his specialist expertise in banking and finance work and the quality of legal advice he has provided on a number of high profile and complex deals in the region.
Steve has extensive experience advising banks, other institutional lenders and borrowers and also advises on a broad range of financial transactions. His particular expertise lies in commercial finance, property finance with specialist expertise in the education and leisure sectors. Steve also advises banks and customers on a wide variety of Islamic compliant funding structures. His extensive experience also ranges in both bilateral and syndicated transactions often dealing with transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
Steve holds an LLM in International Environmental Law and also holds the Islamic Finance Qualification.
Notable work highlights
- Advising HSBC on facilities relating to the management buy out which won the Solent Deal Awards Deal of the Year;
- Acting for a leading regional property developer in relation to investment and development facilities totalling £17mn;
- Acting for an investment grade issuer in relation to the issue of c.£300mn commercial paper pursuant to the Government’s COVID Corporate Financing Facility;
- Advising a bank on a £20mn term loan and revolving credit facility being made available to a leading university in the South of England;
- Acting for a borrower in relation to a c.£10mn Islamic compliant commodity Murabaha facility arranged with a bank to finance the development of retirement accommodation;
- Advising a global manufacturing group based in India in respect of English law security relating to a c.€700mn facilities relating to multiple subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions.
Accreditations & Memberships
- Commission on International Environmental Law