- 11 Nov 2016
- 2 min read
Cheap conveyancing. Would you risk it?
Just ask yourself, why does the conveyancer price their service so cheaply? Desperate for work? Poor reputation? Or are there simply lots of hidden charges?
Not all conveyancing firms offer the same level of service. Not even close. The range is huge, from highly experienced, to not fit for purpose.
The problem is, all law firms could halve their fees over night, but standards of service would inevitably diminish for business expenses to add up.
Here are some examples of what you could expect to experience if you choose a lower priced conveyancing service:
- You are referred to as a case number, not a client
- You do not have an SRA regulated firm of solicitors acting for you
- You do not have your very own named and qualified lawyer from start to finish, instead multiple people handle different parts of the transaction, only for the file to be reviewed by a supervisor before you can exchange contracts
- You do not have your lawyer’s personal email and telephone number
- You do not have your telephone calls or emails returned
- On a sale, your money is sent to the wrong bank account
- Legal mistakes are made on a purchase due to an inexperienced conveyancer, which may cause you upset and loss
- You are fobbed you off to a website for updates, rather than a personal update from your dedicated lawyer
- Buried that dramatically add to your eventual bill such as:
- Exaggerated ID checking fee
- Postage and copying
- Extra charges to liaise with your lender with whom you have an existing mortgage
- Extra charges to fill in a stamp duty form
- Extra charges if you require a standard mortgage
- Extra charges for every enquiry that has to be raised on your purchase or answered on your sale
If the above is not acceptable to you, then ensure you ask the right questions of your property lawyer when seeking a conveyancing quote. If you are looking for conveyancing services in the South, our expert residential property solicitors based in Salisbury, Southampton, Poole, Bournemouth and Winchester are on hand to provide you with the legal help and guidance you need. Don’t hesitate to contact Partner and Property Solicitor Lucy Spollin on 01202 339006 or contact us here.