Caroline trained at Withers in London and after qualifying with Withers she joined their Company and Commercial team for 2 years. Caroline moved to the Thames Valley region where she specialised in advising rural landowners and agri-businesses on a wide range of property transactions and agricultural tenancies. Caroline relocated to the South Coast in 2015 when she joined Blake Morgan’s Agricultural Property team where she advised trustees of landed estates, farmers and horticultural businesses.
In April 2022 Caroline joined Trethowans’ growing Agricultural & Rural Property team as a partner, based in their Winchester office.
Notable work highlights
- Acted for the purchaser of a sizeable agricultural property advising on occupational tenancies, agri-environment schemes and CAP farming subsidies;
- Advising on succession planning for a client who had founded diversified agri-businesses carried out on the same site. Advising on the structure of the freehold and leasehold ownership available to meet the client’s succession planning objectives;
- Advising farming families on partnership agreements involving retiring partners, incoming partners bringing in farms and rural properties into the partnership and forming Land Capital Accounts for the land-owning partners.
Accreditations & Memberships
- Country Land & Business Association (‘CLA’)
- Agricultural Law Association
- Hampshire Farmers Club
Areas of expertise
- Sale and purchase of agricultural properties
- Farming partnership agreements
- Agricultural tenancies, including AHA tenancies and farm business tenancies
- Farm workers’ rights of occupation in farm cottages
- Sporting rights, including fishing rights, hunting and shooting rights
- Secured lending on agricultural and rural properties
- Easements include cable easements, water rights and rights of way
What our clients say about Caroline
“This has been a very fraught deal none of which is down to you. Can I thank you for your help throughout and I hope that the next one we do will not be trying to get into Estates Gazette legal case notes!”
“This has been very trying experience for us all and appreciate your guidance through the elongated process.”
“Thank you for this note Caroline and for the work that you did to help us make this happen. We are very pleased with all of the service that you gave us. “
“Thank you to both you and Caroline for your assistance, persistence and hard work to help us get these transactions done. We are thrilled with what you both did and the great service and communication with us throughout.”