Sometimes surgery goes wrong. If this is because of negligent treatment, then it is possible to make a surgical negligence claim. Our experienced surgical injury solicitors can help you prove surgical error and pursue a surgical negligence claim for compensation.
Any surgery comes with risks and if there is a complication then this does not automatically mean that a mistake has been made. It is possible for known complications to occur during any surgery. However, if something goes wrong which should not have happened and was caused by a surgical error, then you may have a claim.
Negligent errors can occur in all types of surgery, including:
- orthopaedic surgery
- general surgery
- spinal surgery
- abdominal surgery
- vascular surgery
- cardiac surgery
- colorectal surgery
- reconstructive and plastic surgery
- bariatric surgery
Examples of where you could make a surgical negligence claims include:
- amputating the wrong limb or removing the wrong organ – these are referred to as “never” events by the NHS meaning that they should never happen but sadly they do
- perforating an organ during surgery
- failing to realise that an organ such as the bowel has been perforated and failing to repair it in theatre before the end of the operation
- failing to realise that a perforation has occurred when the patient is back on the ward, consequently the patient deteriorates, suffering from septicaemia
- failing to repair the damage during the surgery
- causing nerve damage during surgery
- failing to perform the surgery to a reasonable standard
- transecting an organ during surgery such as the bile duct
Why choose Trethowans?
Our personal injury solicitors will start by providing accident claim advice that is expert and clear, practical as well as personal. Whatever you are up against, we will first understand it – then apply all our expertise to get you the right outcome.
Our teams have been recommended as a Top Tier Firm in The Legal 500 2022 UK Guide
If you have suffered further injury as a result of surgical error, our team of experienced surgical injury solicitors can help. Our surgical injury solicitors will work alongside you to build your case and make a surgical negligence claim and help you get the compensation you are due. Contact our team today on 0800 2800 412 or fill in our quick contact form to arrange a call back.