Louise qualified as a Solicitor in 2006 after training with a large national firm. She has specialised in disputes involving property and land since moving to a firm on the South Coast in 2007. Louise Joins Trethowans from a regional practice based in Dorset and Hampshire, where she has spent the last 8 years heading up their Property Litigation team.
Louise has extensive experience of litigating in the County and High Court but acknowledges the difficulties and cost of utilising the Court system and the importance of early, clear and pragmatic advice to resolve disputes using alternative methods where possible.
Notable work highlights
- Numerous instructions to advise and act on behalf of commercial landlords and tenants in regard to breaches of covenant, recovery of rent and service charge, dilapidations, lease renewals, recovery of possession, lease interpretation and landlord and tenant insolvency.
- Acting for owner of land next door to controversial site, to recover possession from group of squatters/protesters who had been present on the land for some time, responding to their claims of breaches to their Human Rights.
- Acting for business operating out of serviced offices in dispute with licensor concerning whether the licence had terminated and their entitlement to damages after termination. Successfully obtaining an injunction to prevent licensor from pursuing a threatened winding up petition. Successfully applying to strike out parts of the licensors claim and therefore agreeing terms of settlement to conclude Court proceedings.
- Securing a declaration of rights of ways over neighbouring land in favour of two properties owned by the client, further to arguments that rights had been acquired by prescription and proprietary estoppel.
Accreditations & Memberships
- Member of the Southampton Property Association.